Federal Work Study (FWS) Program
The Federal Work-Study Program at Central Carolina Technical College provides on and off-campus work opportunities for qualified students.
The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program:
- Is for students who demonstrate financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.) Students must be enrolled in 6 or more hours and have a current FAFSA on file.
- Is for students who are within the Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines, with standards being:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Maintain a cumulative completion rate of 67% or higher
- Student must complete degree/certificate/diploma within 150% of the published length of their program of study. Ex: a student enrolled in a 60 credit hour program is eligible until 90 credit hours are attempted (60 x 1.5 = 90.)
- Has jobs that are located off-campus in non-profit community services agencies or elementary and middle schools.
- Positions will pay between federal minimum wage and $8.50/hr.
- Students’ total award amounts will vary and work hours will depend on unmet financial need (based on student’s Financial Aid need budget) and availability of funds. Funding for the Federal Work Study Program is limited.
- Will make every effort to place students in a department or area that will enhance individual learning and provide invaluable on-the-job experience.
New Hire Documents
- Once you have been hired for a position, the FWS Coordinator will generate a contract for you and your supervisor to sign before you can begin work. You will also need to meet with the FWS Coordinator to complete the rest of the new hire documents before being able to work. You will need to bring the following documents to this meeting:
- Driver’s License/State-Issued ID
- Social Security Card/Birth Certificate
- Printed Banking Information for Direct Deposit
- You will also be enrolled in a D2L course that you will need to pass with an 80% or higher score, and enrolled in Title IX training that will also need to be completed.
The new hire documents and contracts must be completed and submitted to the Human Resources Office one full day prior to beginning work.
How to Get Paid
- Complete time sheet and submit it to your supervisor for submission to the payroll office on or by the turn-in date.
- Timesheet must reflect actual dates, times and hours worked. Fraudulent timesheets or other payroll documents are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination and prosecution as applicable by law.
- Incomplete or late timesheets will not be processed until the following payroll.
- Timesheets for off-campus community service students have the same rules as above, AND student must submit the sign in/sign out sheet signed by an on-site supervisor.
- ALL payroll checks will be direct deposited in student’s checking or savings account or to their personal Higher One campus card.
- FWS student employees are paid on the 15th of the following month (February 15th for work completed in January).
- To help prepare for your interview, we encourage you to visit the Career Services Center located on Main Campus in Building M100, Room M101.
Are you eligible for work study? Stop by the Round Building to have your eligibility determined based on this checklist.
Visit www.collegecentral.com/cctech/ to view available positions. You will need to register an account with you @mycctc.cctech.edu email and search keyword “FWS” to view open positions.