Phone: (803) 774-6702
506 N. Guignard Drive
Sumter, SC 29150
Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, the Veterans Upward Bound Program (VUB) provides free services to assist in preparing for postsecondary education. VUB provides a wide range of educational resources and individual support for veterans who meet certain eligibility requirements. CCTC manages the only VUB program in South Carolina and serves eligible veterans in Clarendon, Kershaw, Lee and Sumter counties.
You are eligible if:
- You are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen and
- You reside in Clarendon, Kershaw, Lee or Sumter county
- You are a veteran with other than a dishonorable and:
- You served on active duty at least 181 days or more
- You are a Guard or Reservist activated for 30 days or more
- You were discharged due to a service connected disability
- You are a first-generation college student
- You qualify for financial aid
- You are in need of academic assistance
- You have been out of high school or college for at least five years
- You are a low-income individual
- Academic and Career Assessments – Helps veterans become aware of their abilities and set goals.
- Tutoring Services – Academic support through individualized or group tutoring.
- Post-secondary enrollment – Assist veterans with college admissions and applications.
- Financial Aid Assistance – Assist veterans in locating sources of financial aid.
- VETS Basic Training – Education skills, development and remedial instruction.
- VETS Forward March – Supplemental instruction, workshops, events and tours.
- VETS Talk – Peer mentoring, networking and veteran resource assistance.
- Individual Counseling – Provides one-on-one mentoring and counseling services.
- ACCUPLACER Test Prep – Workshops to assist veterans with financial concepts and debt management.
- Referrals – To local supportive agencies or resources that can address veterans’ needs.
- Contact the VUB office to schedule an appointment.
- Complete a VUB application in the office or download, print and complete the VUB application: TRIO-VUB-Application
- Bring the following documents to your appointment:
- DD-214 member copy 4
- Proof of income, such as: Federal Tax Return or VA Disability Income
- Driver’s license or other verifiable photo ID
- Proof of residency