The Main Campus Testing Center at Central Carolina Technical College offers two exams, which allow students to exempt certain courses based upon demonstrated knowledge resulting from their non-traditional learning experience. Students may earn course credit by taking The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) exams. To receive credit, students must meet the minimum acceptable score requirements for each exam. It is the student’s responsibility to request his/her official scores on the CLEP and DSST exams be sent to Student Records. Student Records will evaluate and award the appropriate credit.
CLEP is now being offered at the Shaw Education Site at Shaw Air Force Base. CLEP tests are administered on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Appointments are mandatory and you must be granted access to the installation prior to your exam.
Please click HERE for a listing of CLEP/DSST exams accepted at CCTC.
Benefits of CLEP & DSST Exams:
- Save money. A CLEP exam costs $89.
- Reduce student aid debt/loan amount
- Progress faster to higher-level courses
- Shorten time to degree completion
- Increase retention
- A DSST exam costs $85.
Who Should Take the Exams and How Do I Prepare?
- Homeschool Students (CLEP)
- High School Students (CLEP)
- Currently Enrolled Central Carolina Technical College Students (CLEP)
- Active Duty & Reserves/Guard Personnel (CLEP and DSST)
- Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard (CLEP and DSST)
- Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard, Army Reserve, Army National Guard, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy Reserve, and Coast Guard Reserve (CLEP and DSST)
- Veterans (CLEP and DSST)
- Active Duty & Reserve Spouses only (CLEP)
How Do I Register, Pay, and Schedule for the Exam?
Step 1: Visit the link Get Started with CLEP to register and pay the exam cost.
Visit the link DSST Testing to register and determine eligibility.
Step 2: Visit the link Testing Center Registration, then choose Certification Exams to schedule your Testing Center appointment.
Step 3: Pay a required $15 administrative fee, payable to Central Carolina Technical College. You may
visit the cashier to pay the fee in the Student Services Building, M300R (Round Building) or at any of our other convenient locations. The $15 administrative fee is waived for Active Duty Military.
Veterans inquiring about the CLEP and DSST exams may go to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for more information.
Study material is available for a charge at Petersons and Get College Credit. There are CLEP study guides also available at the Central Carolina Technical College Library located in Building M500.