Veterans Upward Bound Courses
Learn how to use the basic features of Microsoft Word through a hands-on and customizable approach. Unlimited access to the VUB Computer Lab is available for practice and study.
Learn how to use the basic features of Microsoft Excel through a hands-on and customizable approach. Unlimited access to the VUB Computer Lab is available for practice and study.
Covers basic operations of whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Basic two and three dimensional, geometric figures and calculations of their major parameters of interest as well as techniques to solve word problems are developed. Beginning algebra skills are also presented.
Topics include integer operations, basic equation solving, operations on polynomials, algebraic word problems, factoring, graphing lines and solving systems of equations.
This course provides a basic understanding of statistics and how to calculate and evaluate data. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance).
These short term course provide:
- Equation solving
- Word problems
Learn ways to improve writing in preparation for college composition classes. The Modern Language Association (MLA) style will be introduced, as it will be required in most college-level humanities classes. Unlimited access to the Veterans Upward Bound Computer Lab is available for practice and study.
- Contact the VUB office to schedule an appointment.
- Complete a VUB application in the office or download, print and complete the VUB application: TRIO-VUB-Application
- Bring the following documents to your appointment:
- DD-214 member copy 4
- Proof of income, such as: Federal Tax Return or VA Disability Income
- Driver’s license or other verifiable photo ID
- Proof of residency
- Academic and Career Assessments – Helps veterans become aware of their abilities and set goals.
- Tutoring Services – Academic support through individualized or group tutoring.
- Post-secondary enrollment – Assist veterans with college admissions and applications.
- Financial Aid Assistance – Assist veterans in locating sources of financial aid.
- VETS Basic Training – Education skills, development and remedial instruction.
- VETS Forward March – Supplemental instruction, workshops, events and tours.
- VETS Talk – Peer mentoring, networking and veteran resource assistance.
- Individual Counseling – Provides one-on-one mentoring and counseling services.
- ACCUPLACER Test Prep – Workshops to assist veterans with financial concepts and debt management.
- Referrals – To local supportive agencies or resources that can address veterans’ needs.