The Titan Math Center’s central mission is to provide students, faculty and staff with a safe learning environment that fosters understanding of and a critical reflection on math and how it applies to our daily lives.
The Center provides the following:
- For students: Quality instruction and resources for math across the disciplines.
- For Faculty and Staff: Instructional support, resource support and professional development opportunities.
The Center serves as a place where theory can be transformed into practice and utility.
The Titan Math Center Offerings
To advance the goals of our mission, the Math Center offers the following services:
- One-on-one consultations for learners on math questions in any discipline.
- Handouts and reference materials on common math topics.
- Teaching support for faculty.
- Test preparation for students and faculty for assessments given by the college or for certification purposes.
A Titan Math Center Tutorial Session
To schedule a session at the Main Campus in Sumter, click on the “scheduling” button at the top of the page.
A typical Math Center tutorial session lasts anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the needs of the client.
Sessions can cover any of the following:
- Specific topics or objectives.
- Review of submitted quizzes/exams.
- Preparation for upcoming assessment.
- Using Number Sense to evaluate outcomes.
Sessions regarding Number Sense may include goals such as:
- Understanding how to use estimation.
- How to breakdown word problems.
- Identifying information that is irrelevant to the problem.
- Changing units of measure.
- Properly using formulas.
Expectations of Math Center Clients:
For tutorial sessions, clients are expected to:
- Keep appointments
- Come to the session prepared, ready to participate and with specific questions
- Bring their textbook, or know how to access the e-text
- Bring their calculator and notes
- Retain responsibility for their own work
Expectations of Math Center Tutors:
For tutorial sessions, tutors are expected to:
- Give clients their undivided attention.
- Provide instruction as needed.
- Provide direct feedback that addresses areas where the client should focus their future study and practice.
- Help set goals with the client on what they should expect to be upcoming.
Additionally, a tutor will never solve problems for the client, complete assessments or do a homework assignment for the client.
Main Campus, Building M600, Room M601