Placement Testing – Entrance Exam
Applicants applying for admission to credit programs must complete the College’s ACCUPLACER® Placement Test and Computer Technology Placement Test for course placement unless otherwise exempted. Placement tests are the mechanism by which students are placed into general education courses. When students are placed into developmental studies courses, it is expected students will progress through the designated sequence of courses.
Some programs may require other admissions tests. Exemptions to taking the College’s ACCUPLACER® Placement Test are granted if any one of the following criteria is met:
- The applicant has attained the minimum Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score or American College Test (ACT) score at the required level for the program in which the applicant plans to enroll.
- The applicant has earned a grade of “C” or better in appropriate college-level English and Math courses taken at a regionally accredited college or university.
- The applicant has earned the appropriate score for advanced placement credit in English and/or Math on CLEP and/or AP exams that are recognized by the College.
- The applicant has successfully completed Central Carolina Technical College’s placement test within the previous five years.
- The applicant has earned at least an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.
- The applicant is not pursuing an academic award and desires to be admitted to take a specific course(s). The applicant must have met all course prerequisites.
If none of the above exemptions applies, the student will need to placement test for the appropriate subject area. It is recommended that students see an Admissions Counselor for advisement prior to attempting to test to determine if any exemptions apply.
Next Generation ACCUPLACER® Placement Test
What is Next Generation ACCUPLACER®?
Our Next Generation ACCUPLACER placement tests are now available with redesigned reading, writing, and math content. The Next Generation ACCUPLACER® Placement Test is an untimed computer based placement test, which measures skills in Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics, and Advanced Algebra and Functions. There are approximately 20 multiple-choice questions per test. Test questions are based on the student’s responses. Questions will either increase or decrease in difficulty and in point value depending on how you respond. This test is an important step in the admissions process at Central Carolina Technical College.
How do I prepare for the Next Generation ACCUPLACER® Placement Test?
Try PLATO Courseware, an online learning program we use to help students prepare for the ACCUPLACER® Placement Test. Students take a pretest for Reading, English and Math to determine the student’s skill level. Then, the student works through lessons automatically prescribed based on their answers. Once completed, the student may schedule placement testing. For more information contact the Student Learning Center at 803-778-7812 or email email@example.com.
Next Generation ACCUPLACER® Study App
The Next Generation ACCUPLACER® Study App features practice tests in Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics, and Advanced Algebra and Functions. The Study App helps students become familiar with the content and format of test question and is interactive. Students receive an immediate explanation of correct or incorrect answers. The Study App can be used either on a computer or a smartphone.
To get the FREE ACCUPLACER® Study App, click here.
To get a FREE Next Generation ACCUPLACER® Study Guide, see list below:
Computer Technology Placement Test
In addition to placement testing in Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra & Statistics, and Advanced Algebra and Functions, students are required to take the College’s Computer Technology Placement Test. The test assesses a student’s knowledge of everyday computer software and general familiarity of computer hardware. There are 30 questions on the test and results are received immediately.
Scheduling Placement Testing
After preparing to test, students can make a testing appointment using Testing Center Registration, or walk in to test at any of our convenient testing locations. Testing Center Registration is conveniently available 24 hours. For Testing Center Locations and hours of operation, click here.
The day of the test, please bring a valid government issued photo ID, or student ID.
The College’s Retesting Policy for Placement Tests
- All students wishing to retest must wait 5 workdays after their last test date, unless waived by an Admissions Counselor. A Testing Center Retest Eligibility Form is required from an Admissions Counselor.
- Students can test twice at no charge. If a third attempt is necessary, a $25.00 fee is charged for each retest.
- Students can retest on the ACCUPLACER® Placement Test to place higher into any of the Reading, English, or Mathematics courses. It is recommended that students see an Admissions Counselor for advisement prior to attempting to test out of courses.
- All Placement Test scores are valid for five (5) years. After five (5) years a student is eligible to test twice at no charge.