Medical Record Coding (MRCO)38 Semester Hours
The Medical Record Coding Certificate program is designed to prepare health information professionals who focus on medical record management with an emphasis on procedural and diagnostic coding for reimbursement of professional services performed in healthcare facilities. The program includes medical terminology, human disease process, pharmacology, medical billing, procedural and diagnostic coding and medical records regulations. Upon successful completion of the Medical Record Coding Certificate program, the student may be eligible to take the certification examinations administered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and/or the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
• Must meet the general admission requirements and graduation requirements for all Health Sciences students listed at the beginning of the Health Sciences program section of this catalog.
• Must meet computer competency required for placement in online courses.
• The Medical Record Coding Program has limited enrollment and students are admitted annually in the fall semester.
• Acceptance into the health information management courses is contingent upon students completing the MRCO application form and submitting it to the Medical Record Coding Program Manager.
• Applicants will be accepted as they submit completed applications to the program manager until all seats are filled.
• Qualified applicants must have completed all developmental and prerequisite courses prior to acceptance into the health information management courses (HIM).
Progression Standards - After Program Entry
Failure to meet progression standards results in suspension from the program.
• After admission, students must maintain a minimum 2.0 program GPA on program curriculum courses at Central Carolina Technical College in order to progress.
• Must earn a minimum of “C” or higher in each required curriculum course for the program. Students may retake courses completed with less than a “C” one time only.
• Must successfully complete all components of a course (theory, practicum) in order to pass the course. Students who fail to complete a component will receive a grade of “F” for the course regardless of the time in the semester and are not eligible to receive a “W” or “WA” through the withdrawal process.
• Students are limited to two attempts at successful completion of any medical coding program (including Central Carolina Technical College). A withdrawal "W" , “WA” or “WF” constitutes an attempt at a HIM course and will count as one attempt to complete the program.
• Students must complete all course requirements within two years of starting date of first HIM course (HIM 103).
This program of study requires that all developmental courses must be completed prior to graduation. These developmental courses may or may not be prerequisites to courses required in the program. Developmental courses are determined by placement tests taken at the time of admission into the College. The developmental courses are MAT 031, MAT 032, RDG 032, and ENG 032. These courses do not count for credit in any program of study.
courses required to complete this program
Following is a list of courses required to complete this program. Since some courses are offered once a year, courses should be taken in the following sequence in order to complete the program in a timely manner:
AHS 102 Medical Terminology 303
HIM 103 Introduction to Health Information and Coding 303
HIM 104 Anatomy and Physiology for Medical Record Coding 303
BIO 112 Basic Anatomy and Physiology
BIO 211 Anatomy and Physiology II
HIM 140 Current Procedural Terminology 303
HIM 266 Computers in Health Care 303
HIM 110 Health Information Science I 303
HIM 130 Billing and Reimbursement 303
HIM 135 Medical Pathology 303
HIM 137 Pharmacology for Coders 101
HIM 216 Coding and Classification I 303
HIM 105 Medical Office Communication and Practices 303
HIM 115 Medical Records and the Law 202
HIM 150 Coding Practicum I 303
HIM 228 Coding Seminar 202
This program is aligned with the following career cluster: Health Science
Gainful Employment Data
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: H109
- Phone: (803) 778-6677
- Extension: 277