69 Semester Hours
The goals of the Paralegal Associate Degree in Applied Science program are to offer a concentrated program of study to:
• Prepare students with the knowledge and skills necessary to be qualified paralegals.
• Prepare students for careers as paralegals working under the direct supervision of attorneys in public and private sectors.
• Prepare students who can perform effectively in a variety of legal settings and who can adapt to the changing legal environment.
A paralegal/legal assistant may not practice law, give advice, or represent clients in a court of law.
The Paralegal Associate Degree program is designed to meet the following objectives:
• Provide students with a general education that includes oral and written communications, computational skills, and an awareness and knowledge of the humanities and social sciences.
• Provide students with knowledge of the roles and functions of a lawyer, the roles and functions of the paralegal, and law practice methods in a variety of settings in which paralegals work.
• Give students an understanding of the court system and the process of civil and criminal litigation.
• Provide students with substantive knowledge in different areas of law practice.
• Prepare students with knowledge and procedures for conducting legal research and preparing legal documents in a minimum of three areas of law practice.
• Provide students with an understanding of the rules of professional conduct governing lawyers and paralegals.
• Provide law office management skills which include computer, legal research, and client interviewing skills.
© 2014 Central Carolina Technical College
Date/Time Published:4/18/2014 2:15