Health Sciences - Core Performance Standards
With reasonable accommodations, the student should be able to demonstrate the following abilities:
Note: Examples are not all inclusive.
- Critical thinking ability sufficient for clinical/laboratory judgment (e.g., identifies cause-effect relationships in clinical/laboratory situations, etc.)
- Interpersonal abilities sufficient to interact with individuals, families, and groups from a variety of social, emotional, cultural, and intellectual backgrounds (e.g., establishes rapport with clients/families and colleagues.)
- Communication abilities sufficient for interaction with others in verbal and written form
- Physical abilities sufficient to move from room to room and maneuver in small spaces (e.g., moves around in client's rooms, work spaces, and treatment areas, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedures; positions themselves in the clinical/laboratory environment so as to render vital care to clients without obstructing the positioning of necessary equipment or other health care workers, etc.)
- Gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to provide safe and effective client care (e.g., calibrates and uses equipment; positions clients, etc.)
- Auditory ability sufficient to monitor and assess health needs (e.g., hears monitor alarm, emergency signals, auscultatory sounds and a range of sounds necessary to assess client status, cries for help.)
- Visual ability sufficient for observation and assessment necessary in client care (e.g., observes client physical condition, etc.)
- Tactile ability sufficient for physical assessment (e.g., performs palpation, functions of physical examination and/or those related to therapeutic interventions, i.e., insertion of a catheter.)
- Possess sufficient stamina to participate in activities requiring large muscle skills including being able to move quickly (e.g., lift clients, equipment, and supplies up to 50 pounds.)
- Demonstrate emotional stability and psychological health in the interaction with clients, families, colleagues, and college personnel.